Do you belong in a Zoo?
Looking for more than just a Normal Volunteer Experience?
The internship program at the Washington Park Zoo is an opportunity for college students to acquire experience and knowledge by working alongside professional staff. Although it is a non-paid internship, the experience will no doubt benefit any future endeavors in the zoological field or related area of career interest. Internships are available to college students in animal care, public relations, summer camp (education major only), education programs (education major only), graphic design, horticulture, construction and other areas of request. We also can assist in a focused planning to completion project, as well.
Candidates must have completed one year of college and be working towards a degree in biology, zoology, animal behavior, or other related field. Candidates must have excellent communication skills, observation skills, and have the ability to work in a team environment. They must be reliable, trustworthy, and be able to follow oral and/or written instructions. Zoo life is a physically demanding profession, and interns are subjected to a variety of physical and environmental challenges. Interns may be required to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
Current Internship opportunities:
Animal Care Internship
Summer Camp Counselor
Graphic Designer- Entry Level
Exhibit Design - Construction Internship
Custom project experience for individuals or groups
The purpose of Washington Park Zoo’s Intern Program:
1. to provide practical, on-the-job experience;
2. to provide exposure to zoo operations and zoo careers;
3. to demonstrate the unique advantages of zoos as a supplement to conventional learning programs.
The goal of interns in this program will be to learn and successfully perform (under supervision) the duties and responsibilities of a full-time employee in the assigned area. Interns are supervised and instructed by full-time zoo employees.
The Washington Park Zoo will work with students to document necessary time or projects needed to gain university credit for the internship. Unfortunately, we do not provide transportation or housing. Interns can be dismissed for unacceptable performance of duties/responsibilities and/or for non-compliance with Washington Park Zoo regulations and procedures.
Requirements for Application
1 .All applicants must be minimum of 18 years of age.
2. All applicants must have an overall “C” grade point average
3. All applicants if accepted must submit written results of a negative tuberculosis test.
4. Applicant must have the ability to stand, stoop, bend, reach, climb and to lift.
Only completed application packets will be considered. A complete packet includes the following:
1. A standard application form
2. A letter from the applicant detailing what he/she hopes to gain from the program, and how the internship relates to past experience, future plans, career goals.
3. A resume including work and/or military experience.